We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
It often happens that plants used for gardening need additional support from their stems. In these cases, wooden trellises are used for climbing plants. Among them: lemongrass, climbing roses, blackberries, grapes, peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, nasturtium and others.
In greenhouses, trellis is used to reduce the space occupied by plants and to ensure uniform illumination.
Types of Trellis
These designs are single-plane and two-plane.
- By single-plane can be reckoned structures in the form of gratings, fences, fences. They are often used to decorate the walls of buildings and structures with live shrubs. Single-plane trellises are also used in the garden for growing cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Two-plane structures include structures consisting of several parallel flat trellises that are connected by a single-plane trellis. The resulting structure is more stable and looks much better. Therefore, two-plane structures are often used in garden decoration or landscape design.
Do-it-yourself trellis for climbing plants
Nowadays it is easy to find and buy the right product or thing. Trellis was no exception. Many companies offer different types of finished products from quality materials, but since not everyone can afford them, I suggest that you consider the option of making a trellis with your own hands.
How to make a trellis from a tree
The size and material for making wooden trellis with your own hands directly depends on the plants for which they are intended. For peas or creepers, you can craft a simple construction of wire and fruit tree rods that remain after trimming them. The entire manufacturing process takes place in several stages:
- Select thin and even branches for the future design.
- Stick the branch into the ground at an angle. After 15 centimeters from it, stick the next rod. At the same time, it must be tilted to the first so that they cross themselves at a certain height from the ground.
- To connect two twigs together with a small piece of wire.
- We put the third twig immediately near the second and tilt it parallel to the first. After 15 centimeters, install the fourth twig parallel to the second. In the place of their crossing, wire.
- Repeat this process until the end of the future design.
- Having reached the desired size, we cut off all the excess ends and give the structure the shape of a rectangle.
- If your structure is not too stable, then it can be fixed in several places. To do this, drive small pegs into the ground and tie them to the structure with a wire.
- Plants are planted along the support.
The fan version should be made to someone who has welding experience. Make it from a metal bar. Its thickness is selected based on the size of the future plant.
After you have selected the required number of rods, it is necessary to decompose them according to the template prepared in advance and weld. First cook the horizontal and vertical, and then alternately mount the remaining rods. If you need to give additional stability to the structure, you can weld additional rods. The finished product is processed and painted, and then installed in a predetermined place.
In most cases, trellis is used as a support for cucumbers and tomatoes in the garden.
When choosing the installation location and height, their dimensions should be taken into account so that the plants in the garden are not obscured by them from the light. Therefore, they put these structures in the direction from north to south.
With growth, tomatoes can be tied to a cord. This will provide access to enough light. In addition, with this arrangement, the trellis will be well blown by the wind, which will save the plants from some diseases.
For cucumbers, you can install a design similar toabout. This will further help to harvest more quickly. Unlike tomatoes, cucumbers do not tie, but once a few days they wrap the stalk with a cord.
This design can be converted into a two-plane structure. To do this, set the bar on the tops of each of the columns. We place it perpendicular to the pillars of the support. Between the straps we stretch the wire. In the future, we attach cords for plants on it. These manipulations allow not only save material, but also time to manufacture.
Before making it, you need to clearly think about how you want to see it. In addition to length and width, you can choose the desired shape of the arrangement of cells: rhombuses or rectangles.
For the manufacture of the lattice you will need four bars with a length equal to the width and length of the trellis. Retreating from the edge of the bars a few centimeters, make cuts at half the thickness. Part of the tree from the edge of the cut is removed with a chisel. The resulting blanks are connected with screws or we sit on glue.
Depending on the required shape of the cells, the strips are mounted to the frame parallel to the sides (rectangular) or at an angle (rhombic).
Perpendicular to the slats of the first lattice, place the slats of the second. Then they combine their angles and sides, thus laying frames on top of each other. The whole structure is fastened with self-tapping screws.
If you want to protect the structure from precipitation, then it should be painted in a suitable color, and ideally - varnished. It is mounted on vertical supports. This makes it more durable and stable.
DIY tapestry not only helps you save money, but also gain experience its manufacture, which you will need in the future.Trellis for climbing plants